Here’s how to upgrade your older company file to work in a newer version of QuickBooks Desktop.
Step 1: Prep your company file
- Open your original version of QuickBooks. Then open the company file you want to upgrade.
You must open the company file as the Admin User and in Single-User Mode.
- Run the Rebuild Tool for your company file. This preps it for the upgrade.
Select File, then Utilities > Rebuild Data
In order for you to Rebuild your File, It will perform a Backup.
- Save the Backup file in your company's Z: Drive, in a folder named "Backups"
If no folder exists, please create a folder named "Backups"
- Once the Rebuild is complete, select File > then Exit QuickBooks.
Step 2: Upgrade your company file
- Make sure all users are logged out of your company file.
- Open your new version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Select Open or Restore Company if you don't have a company file open. You can also go to the File menu and select Open or Restore Company.
- Select Open a company file, then Next. If you have a backup company file (QBB) instead of a company file (QBW), select Restore a backup copy and then Local backup.
- Browse your computer for your company file. You wrote down the file location in Step 1. Select it and then select Open.
- Sign in to your company file as an admin user.
- Before you upgrade, QuickBooks automatically creates a backup of your existing company file. You can select Change this default location to save the backup in a specific folder.
- Select Update Now to start the upgrade.
- When QuickBooks is finished, select Done.