In order to upgrade your QuickBooks file to a new year/version please follow the following steps:
- Open your current file in your current version
- Select File>Utilities>Verify Data
- If Quickbooks detects no errors, your file is ready to be upgraded, please skip to step #6 below. If errors were detected, please continue on to step #4.
- If Verify detects errors then select File>Utilities>Rebuild Data. Once the data rebuild is complete, run the Verify Data again to be sure the errors have been fixed.
- Once there are no errors detected in the file, close the QuickBooks file.
- Ask all users to get out of the file and ensure you have closed Quickbooks as well.
- Open the new version of QuickBooks
- Click X in the upper right corner of the initial splash screen to setup a new company file.
- In the No Company Open window, select the middle button - Open or Restore a Company File
- Select Open Company File
- From the drop down menu at the top where it says Look In: be sure to select your Z: drive on Swizznet
- You should see all the folders and files on your company's Z: drive. Click on the company file with the green or yellow icon to the left of it and then click Open
- Log into the file using the Admin user and password
- QuickBooks will prompt you to make a backup before upgrading your file. You can save your backup in your company Z: drive on Swizznet
- Once the backup is finished, the program will upgrade your file
- Once the upgrade is complete check that any integration's you have setup in your file are still connected - some may require you to re-authenticate or update the integration.
Once the file has been upgraded, any other users accessing the file will need to navigate to open the file from the Z drive the first time they open the new version.